4/11/2010

Magpie Tales: une femme d’un certain âge


This my first entry for Magpie Tales, hosted here by Willow.  Go visit and and you’ll find the work of some very creative people.

une femme d’un certain âge

All eyes were drawn to the lusty laugh ringing out from across the room. I was instantly reminded of that voice you so often “hear” in literature and music. She had a deep, throaty, whiskey-and-cigarettes voice that said “I’ve been there.” The sound of that voice laughing, sexy and uninhibited, invited the listener to go there too.

The surprise came when she turned around. She was somewhere north of eighty, with snow white hair swept back into a haphazard chignon of sorts, fastened with a big barrette. Her glasses were set in unremarkable silver frames and her lips were colored a deep burgundy, neither of which did much to add color to her wrinkled face. She wore black trousers and a black silk blouse, the somber effect relieved only by a tumble of brightly colored necklaces cascading from her neck. She was shod in simple shoes, and carried a handbag that looked as if she could produce anything you needed from its depths.

In short, she looked like somebody’s grandmother, and probably was.

But there was that laugh! There was nothing grandmotherly about that. Unable to help myself, I went to her, curious to resolve my confusion with the whole Kathleen Turner-Helen Hayes thing. As I reached her side, she turned to look at me. Peering out from behind her aged face was the sexy young woman she had once been. Her lively eyes pierced me like shards of arctic blue ice twinkling in the sunlight, and I was smitten.

27 comments:

  1. snap. nice vignette...cool to see the girl still inside her...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i cant help but wonder how many others see it or just dismiss her...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Let's hear it for the grannies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow,
    aging is cruel, everyone has moment of youth and pride when they are young...
    beautiful ending!

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://jingleyanqiu.wordpress.com/2010/04/11/follow-jingle-to-make-your-blog-twinkle/

    Happy Sunday!
    Awards.

    ReplyDelete
  6. To think back to Helen Hayes when she was young means you're my type of person. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seems like we should improve with age, not deteriorate, doesn't it. However, there is always that spark that remains and you captured it here in your vignette.
    Star

    ReplyDelete
  8. PattiKen: Your interesting post inspired me to join Magpie Tales. Here's a short poem : Lip Color Hope you let me know what you think!

    Regards,
    Harvee

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope thats me when I finally become "old" in society's eyes. :) A superb first Magpie Piece.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder," a lovely magpie tale indeed,

    Joanny

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautifully written, Patti! Loved the imagery and the notion that sexy is a state of mind.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderfully written. You transported me right into the room.

    Welcome to Magpie!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How beautiful! Joanny stole the words right out of my mouth..."Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"!
    She may be older but much more experienced & wise of the world. The beauty in her heart & her the twinkling of her smiling eyes are the gateway to her soul! Still beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A great way to start! I'm looking forward to reading more of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great piece of work. We are always "in there" no matter our age. Only our packaging changes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great to have another fine writer join the group; well done.
    I recall a phone conversation with my mom when she was 77. It was on the occassion of my 52nd birthday: "do you feel any older son?"
    "not really" said I.
    "You never will" she said!
    rel

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nothing sexier than a spirit filled deep-voiced laughing granny with a spark to ignite such a fine night of revelry! Love the descriptions, the colours, all blend to make magic happen. Loved the twist, granny as sex goddess; that's a first!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Perfect! Such visuals and audio - I could her that laugh for sure! Very nicely written.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Welcome to Magpie Tales and thanks for your visit. I loved this tale especially since I am older than dirt. I never leave the house without my lipstick. My kiddos worry that one day I will step out with only my lipstick on. LOL Blessings
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  20. Poignant tale - love the laugh that draws a crowd!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I loved the line....the bag that could produce anything you needed. You have captured the essence of an old woman very cleverly and what a woman!
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  22. She was somewhere north of eighty, with snow white hair swept back into a haphazard chignon of sorts, fastened with a big barrette.

    Oh, this is great! I love how you show this person sharply.

    And I thought of Lauren Bacall, at least her screen image :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Those throaty whiskey and cigarette voices do it for me every time! If I were a woman, thats how I want to be at 80.

    ReplyDelete
  24. http://jingleyanqiu.wordpress.com/2010/04/13/because-she-is-plain-magpie-tale/
    I did my first magpie,
    Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yep...that's what I want to be like at eighty. I might be a grandmother, but I want to be seen as more.

    ReplyDelete
  26. If I didn't know better, I'd swear you've just described my grandma! That is definitely her handbag and also her laugh. We call her Betty (as in Lauren Bacall).

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts? I would love to hear from you.