8/29/2010

A Wee Cottage in the Wood


She tripped lightly down the pine needle-strewn path, her footsteps swallowed by the silence of the forest. She stopped here and there to pick the ripe blackberries growing along the path and dropped them into the battered pail she’d brought with her for just such a purpose. Tonight there would be pie, but she would have to stop her one-for-me, one-for-the-pail approach to berry-picking if she were ever to gather enough.

Passing though bright motes of dapple painted by sunlight through leafy boughs of green canopy, deeper and deeper into wood she traveled. Then far ahead in a small clearing, nearly swallowed by foliage, a wee cottage appeared, spot-lit by sun but all darkness within. To many, it might be forbidding, but not to a young girl who had lived in fairy tales all her life. She had outwitted wolves and wicked stepmothers. She had vanquished many an evil gnome, troll and elf. She’d laughed at orcs, goblins and gollums, and had escaped towers, hot ovens and never-ending sleep. And through it all, she’d always believed in good witches and handsome princes, though she’d never actually met one herself.

Nay, a wee cottage in the wood was no match for this girl. And so she skipped up to the cottage, climbed the steps to the its porch, and gave a small knock on the door. When there was no answer, she gently pushed the door open on its squeaky hinges and stepped inside. As the sun followed her in, she saw an old bird cage standing in the corner. She walked over, and as she approached, a very bedraggled bird lifted its head and looked at her forlornly.

“Hello,” she said brightly. “I’m Lucinda. What’s your name? What are you doing here all alone?”

The bird said not a word. Not too many birds can talk, after all. He just continued to gaze at her. Now, probably birds can’t get expressions on their faces, but she saw great sadness in this bird’s eyes. Her own eyes filling with tears, she pried open the rusty latch on the cage and opened the door.

“Come out,” she cried. “I’ve set you free!”

The bird just pulled its pale blue feathers tighter against its thin body and backed into the far corner of the cage, its expression changing from sad to wary. She stood and talked gently to the frightened bird, but nothing she said could lure it from the cage.

Finally, she realized it was hopeless and besides, the sun was going down and soon it would be dark in the forest.

“I must go if I’m to find my way home," she told the bird. “”But I will leave the door open so that you may leave too if you want. Goodbye!”

She turned and started moving toward the door of the cottage, but half-way there she stopped and turned.

“There are plenty of berries outside and I can tell you, they are very good. But you look hungry now and my waistline doesn’t need pie anyway.”

She returned to the cage, and put all of the berries from her pail just inside the door of the cage. Then she ran from the cottage and made her way quickly out of the forest and home, arriving just before the sun dropped below the horizon.

That night, she was barely able to sleep, worrying about the poor bird cowering alone in the cottage in the wood. Her concern stayed with her the next day, causing her boss to chastise her for daydreaming instead of attending to her filing. As she tried to focus on her work, she vowed to return to the cottage that evening and make sure the poor bird was okay.

Right after work, she rushed home and changed her clothes. Taking no time to trip lightly through the wood or pause to enjoy the succulent blackberries growing beside the pine needle-strewn path, she hurried toward the cottage. When the wee cottage came into view in the small clearing ahead, she saw the door was standing open as she left it. But instead of darkness inside, the cottage seemed filled with sunlight.

She ran to the door and stepped inside, anxiously looking at the old cage standing in the corner. To her surprise, it was empty! She went over to it, and confirmed that the bird and all of the berries were gone.

As she was standing looking at the cage, her emotions swinging between joy that the bird had flown free and disappointment at not seeing him again, she heard a footstep on the tiny porch out front. Turning, she saw a handsome young man in a pale blue sweater framed in the doorway.

“Hello,” he said. “I’m Marcus. What’s your name? What are you doing here all alone?”

See? she thought. I knew fairy tales really can come true!

************************************
This was written for Magpie Tales.

26 comments:

  1. oh but i hope he is not the big bad wolf...smiles. excellent write patti...i thoroughly enjoyed it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good deed should always be rewarded with a handsome young man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so reading that as a cliffhanger... replete with Jaws theme.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I beats having to kiss a frog. Lovely story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent tale, and could easily go in different directions!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed the story, it sucked me in and I had a chuckle at the image of her working as a filing clerk! That threw a spanner in the works! But I must agree with SueJ... beats kissing a frog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love fairy tales...so brilliantly written. It wanted to make me skip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooo!! But why am I feeling something sinister might be lurking around the corner. Did Marcus look like Anthony Perkins?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Charming. Just charming.In a way, I'd like to see more of this in little girl's lives and less of Wii and iPod and text messaging. But that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I do love a good fairy tale with a happy ending. Wonderful read!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fun to read, and it ended as I hoped; I like it when there is a happy ending. :)

    I'm testing my link here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a lovely story I can smell pine and blackberries!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm expecting something terrible the entire time and I am still holding my breath.

    You had better not leave us hanging on this one.


    Love from the Moon

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful modern day fairy tale...now I wish we could continue the story to a lovely ending.

    ReplyDelete
  15. how magical...great writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I picked blackberries yesterday, but it wasn't this exciting. Of course, I brought my own little princes along, who were probably using a 5-for-me, 1-for-the-pail plan. I like where the path led Lucinda!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I liked your story Patti. The introduction of a bird in the cottage was a nice touch. Are we to assume that the bird changed into Marcus or did he own the bird and was out exercising it? I'll go with the first idea. A nice, gentle story which made me want to keep reading.
    Blessings, Star

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOVELY!!! I too believe in fairytales, Patti... especially since the last 10 years, ever since I met my boyfriend (turned husband now) :)

    This was the most delightful story!!! Thank you for sharing this piece, my dear friend... I am feeling very nice about everything now :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for all your kind comments, my friends. I'm loving the spectrum of reactions here. Some like the fairy-tale aspect of it, and are happy to have the implied "happily ever after" ending. Others want more. Was he the big bad wolf? Was he her prince charming? And still others can hear the eerie music and want to see if there is evil lurking in the shadows, ready to pounce.

    I'll have to think on this, and see if there's more story waiting to be told. ;-)

    Thanks again for coming!

    ReplyDelete
  20. YES! Fairy tales are the 'bestest' as my grandchildren used to tell me. Yours is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh please don't keep us hanging. What was Marcus's intention?

    Fabulous Magpie Tale. Loved it.

    PG

    ReplyDelete
  22. PattiKen...
    Mistress of Suspence!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh I would love to see a picture of Marcus...he bet he could make any heart grow wings....very nice tale...bkm

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts? I would love to hear from you.