9/04/2010

100-Word Challenge: Achievement


She stood waiting, shivers of fear running down her spine.  And then she heard her named called. The moment had come.

She had been waiting for this all her life.  She closed her eyes, took a deep breath and began.  And then all thought left her mind.  She was aware of nothing, until at last her fingers danced lightly over the keys sounding the final notes of the Prokofiev piano concerto.

The ten-year-old girl smiled and lifted her hands from the keyboard as Carnegie Hall erupted into thunderous applause. She stood, faced the audience and curtsied. She had done it.

******************************** 

This was written for the 100-Word Challenge, hosted by Velvet Verbosity. This week's prompt was "fingers."

6 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to play the piano. I like how you put her in a zone the minute she played her first note until it was over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. something she will remember for the rest of her life...my sis took piano...like my mom...like my gramma...only one girl per generation but they all played....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bravo! And she's only ten. I survived piano recitals at that tender age. Of course, I wasn't at Carnegie Hall!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is indeed quite the achievement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comments, my friends. This story is pure fiction. But I have read of child prodigies who appear at lofty venues at a very young age, and wow the audience with their amazing talent. I think to myself that they are still children, and wonder what it must feel like from a 10-year-old perspective. And that's where this was born.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts? I would love to hear from you.