5/03/2016

Pedernal



                                      He waits, wooing,
                                      Whispering words of
                                      Love and longing.
                                      Paint me, paint me
                                      Purple with passion.
                                      Caress me with
                                      Strokes of seduction.
                                      Make love to me
                                      Again and again, and
                                      I will be yours.


“It’s my private mountain. It belongs to me. God told me if I painted it enough, I could have it.” ~ Georgia O’Keefe


***

Written for dVerse Poet's Pub. The prompt today is "Sentiments of the Southwest." One of my favorite places in the southwest is Ghost Ranch in Abiquiu, New Mexico. I am in good company. Georgia O'Keefe fell in love with it too, and settled in Abiquiu after her husband Alfred Stieglitz died. While there, she painted Pedernal over and over until she made it hers. Her ashes are scattered at its base.

.

19 comments:

  1. Perfect quote for the poem. I like knowing about the scattering of her ashes. And amazingly, Stieglitz was my favorite photographer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too, Toni. I've read that they were known as "the power couple in the art world."

      Delete
  2. Oh I do love the way you painted the story, you can fall in love with a place like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I agree, it's easy to love. The colors are amazing.

      Delete
  3. That is some muse and passion ~ I love the painting and the inspired words ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Grace. Pedernal spoke, and Georgia listened.

      Delete
  4. What more perfect vision of the Southwest than through O'Keefe's vision!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Her view of New Mexico was truly unique. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  5. Filled with passion! I enjoyed reading the note at the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love that little tidbit of information too.

      Delete
  6. An incredible slice of NM lore is so few lines, capped with the perfect quote; terrific creative take on the SW prompt; really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful poem/quote combo. CHARMED by this. That's the only word I know to use.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your poem, and that painting make me want to journey to the South West even more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do go someday, Bryan. The landscape there is so inspirational.

      Delete

Thoughts? I would love to hear from you.